Finding affordable lodges in Namibia can be tricky. While petrol is more affordable than in South Africa, there are only 2 million adults in the country. Low populations tend to mean low resources. As a result, the cost of amenities is driven up, which impacts the consumer.
And, if you’re like me, the thought of pumping mattresses at dusk, waking up to sandy tent floors and cooler-box living probably lost its appeal with the last music festival you ran away from in 2019!
So, if you’ve done your tent time, apply for a Gondwana Card and get up to 40% PERCENT OFF your stays at the Gondwana Collection lodges and hotels. This can make a huge difference when costing your next Namibian holiday.
This is an initiative I’m keen to support as too few Africans travel within the continent and this is a great way to improve African travel.
Namibian Lodge Discounts with Gondwana Collection
What Does the Card Offer?
The Gondwana Collection offers some deals at an absolute steal. 40% off can make a HUGE difference to an overall journey. These are the main points of offer:
- Discounts on breakfast and accommodation only.
- Namibian citizens and residents get 50% off.
- SADC citizens get 40% discount.
- Dinner and activities are discounted by 25% for all Gondwana Card Holders.
- Campaign and Camping2Go are also covered by the card (as of 2021).
If you have not received your physical card yet, you can still book with your card number (which you will received after applying and paying for you card).
If your card was issued before November 2015, it is valid forever. If it was issued after November 2015, they are valid for 5 years.
Who Qualifies for a Gondwana Card?
Citizens of the Southern African Development Countries (SADC) quality for the Gondwana Card. This means if you are a citizen of South Africa, Botswana, Zimbabwe, Malawi, Mozambique, Eswatini (Swaziland), Madagascar, Tanzania, Angola, Zambia, Lesotho, Democratic Republic of Congo, Mauritius and Seychelles.
How Much Does a Gondwana Card Cost?
- Adults (14 yrs older) – N$ 300 per card (ZAR300) as from 1 November 2019.
- Children 6-13 yrs – N$ 150 per card (ZAR150) as from 1 November 2019.
- Children 0-5 yrs – No Card required.
Please note that each person needs to have their own, individual Gondwana Card to qualify for any special rates. There are no “family cards”.
How Do I Apply For a Gondwana Collection Card?
- Register on the Gondwana Collection website (e-mail addy & PW).
- Go to the Gondwana Card page (must have store.gondwana in the URL).
- Add your personal details (ID number, Nationality, City, Postal Code, Country, Mobile number, e-mail address).
- Select how you want to receive the card (collected, posted, etc.).
- Add Copy of your ID and click Submit Card.
You need to do this PER PERSON. You can’t have 1 card per couple, each individual must have their own card.
Alternatively, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org to apply. You will receive a response from a consultant with a form requesting the full address for each applicant and a copy of each person’s ID/passport and proof of payment.
How Do You Pay For It?
The form e-mail will include banking details which you can use to make an EFT. Attach your proof of payment, with your form and return to the consultant.
Once you’ve added your details your information will be processed over the next 2 weeks. A consultant will validate your details and confirm whether everything is correct.
Once the cards are printed the consultant will notify you via email with your new card numbers. You can use these numbers to make a discounted booking until the real cards arrive in your post box.
Terms & Conditions to Note:
- Tour operator bookings do not qualify.
- Bookings made before the card is received do not qualify.
- Discounts do not apply to camping rates or expired cards.
- Geisterschlucht Cabin does not qualify.
Enjoy applying and happy traveling through Namibia!