I can hear the stones crunch under my boots as the temptation to wander down a country road wins me over. The skies melt between dark blue and bright pink at sunset in April. The rustling of Eucalyptus trees settles down as the afternoon wind turns into an evening breeze. Mountains in the distance surround us in a near perfect circle at the Saronsberg Vineyard Cottages.
What Brought Us Here
We visited Tulbagh to assist in our special friends’ surprise engagement and subsequent party! What a weekend!
Luckily, we were able to nap a cottage at Saronsberg, which we’d heard so much about. I decided to take Monday off because the temptation to stay in the historic valley was just too great.
Saronsberg is well known for its world class wine, art gallery and wedding venue, however, not many know that the farm actually offers on site accommodation in the form of vineyard cottages.
View this post on Instagram
Saronsberg Vineyard Cottages
The Saronsberg cottages have recently been renovated and while it has soft, modern furnishings, it hasn’t lost its country charm. The bathroom is positively enormous, the bed comfortable (and a lovely dark room) with an in-kitchen fireplace and small lounge.
Open the windows and look over the vineyards to neighbouring houses, the cottages have large windows but privacy isn’t difficult to manage.
Reasons to Stay at the Saronsberg Vineyard Cottages
- Great for groups, but still allows privacy.
- Good for families (Our friends brought their baby so we were together without interrupting baby’s routine).
- Loads of space (if you have kids they can play on the lawn with their toys).
- In door fireplace is a highlight when it comes to cooking. Cozy! (1 bundle of wood supplied, more available to buy.)
- Great tasting room at Saronsberg; convenient if you don’t want to drive anywhere.
- Excellent South African art gallery.
- Cottages have loads of space if you need to bring equipment for filming/baby things, etc.
- Safe and secure parking and accommodation.
- Very clean and well maintained. (Cleaner take sheets away on little wagon, so cute!)
- Internet reception.
- Great rates.
- Beds can be switched between king size or single beds to best suit your needs.
What To Do at the Saronsberg Cottages
The very first place on your agenda should be to visit the Saronsberg cellar. Walk up the pathways composed of mixed textures before entering the lead layden grand duplex filled with 360 sculptures and large paintings.
Grab a table on the front porch and enjoy their world-class wines. Their Shiraz being particularly loved, while my favourite is the Voignier. We had a platter the day we visited, but I’m not sure if this is available all the time. Ask your server for updated details in terms of snacks.
The town of Tulbagh is 5kms away from Saronsberg. Here’s our list of 10 things to do in Tulbagh to give you a few more ideas.
Sustainability Tip: Saronsberg treats all their waste water in-house by a specialised treatment plant and reused in the gardens and paddocks.
Cons of the Saronsberg Vineyard Cottages
- Don’t listen to Google maps if you’re coming from the north! We drove all over some other farm, which had a gate connecting roads which was locked! Use the instructions offered by the venue.
- No bath mats! Be careful not to slip if you bath or shower.
- The wind is quite loud. We didn’t mind it, although we couldn’t hear our friends knocking at the door haha! But if you are hypersensitive to this, bring ear plugs.
- Shortage of plug points. We had to unplug appliances to charge our mobiles/computers. (Not an issue if you don’t need to do any work which is 99% of most visitors.)
We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the Saronsberg Vineyard Cottages. It was unusual to be on such a big piece of land, which allowed for amazing mountain views. Cooking on the indoor fire (which is at eye level, not a hearth) was so much fun and very tasty!
They also left a cheese and charcuterie board from Richard Bosman, whose products are just delicious. It was the perfect starter for the cosy night in. The wind bother us at all as we slept so well. We’d be happy to return.
Rates for Saronsberg Vineyard Cottages
- 1 Bedroom cottages cost between R700 – R1100.
- 2 Bedroom cottages cost between R1600 – R2200.
Book a Saronsberg Vineyard Cottage online or by e-mailing email@example.com or call 0027 23 230 0707.
- 100% cancellation charge if cancelled 6 or fewer days in advance (this includes all “no-shows” – non arrivals without written cancellation).
- 75% cancellation charge for total services reserved if cancelled between 7 and 14 days prior to arrival.
- 50% cancellation charge as outlined above if cancelled between 15 and 21 days prior to arrival.
- 25% cancellation charge as outlined above if cancelled between 22 and 30 days prior to arrival.
Thanks for having us Saronsberg!