With Cape Town appearing on many international travel lists during 2019, it’s no wonder the city has been bumped up in the “top 5 travel destinations” of travellers’ bucket lists around the world.
But Cape Town isn’t en route to “anywhere”, so to speak, which means the plane ticket require more budget than many other popular cities such as Paris, Prague or Dublin.
Getting to the Mother City is well worth the journey, but having budget friendly options is also welcome for many travellers.
Signature Lux Hotel by Onomo Waterfront
The Signature Lux Hotel in Cape Town refers to 2 hotels: the Signature Lux Hotel on the foreshore (in a far quieter side of town) and the Signature Lux Hotel by Onomo Waterfront, which lies a block outside the Silo District and is central to accessing the entire city.
Mr John and I were invited to the Signature Lux Hotel launch in 2018. Unfortunately, the hotel wasn’t quite complete upon our visit. We went to bed with the scent of fresh paint, missing door viewers and TV boxes still in the hallways.
In spite of these details, we felt the hotel had a lot of potential and were happy to return for a friend’s birthday in 2019. The finished product is fantastic with highlights including:
Reasons to Stay at the Signature Lux Hotel Waterfront
- Massive twin rooms (many of which include 2 king sized beds in each room).
- Small, but very clean bathrooms.
- Large mirrors and counterspace for getting ready.
- Flat screen TVs with Chromecast, aircon, downstairs bar, laundry services and decent luggage storage space.
- Basic breakfast can be included.
- Charm of the old building highlighted in modern rooms.
- Excellent location to V&A Waterfront, city centre and Sea Point.
- Theatre nights in the restaurant downstairs that promotes local talent and provides entertainment.
- Clear hotel room number signage.
- Airport shuttle.
- Not every room has a good view. We could see over the rooftops, but the courtyard was filled with junk, which needed/or may have already been removed.
- Great for couples travel, but not a lot of privacy if non-couples are travelling together.
- Noise from restaurant can bother guests so request a room higher up if you intend to sleep early.
- Extra requests have a slow turn around time so keep nagging if you need something.
Signature Lux Hotel Waterfront Rates
High season: R1700 – R2100
Low season: R1000 – R1600
Find the Signature Lux Hotel by Onomo Waterfront at 24 Alfred street, Waterfront, Cape Town, 8001.
The Signature Lux Hotel by Onomo Waterfront is a budget hotel. It’s great value for money for what you get at the price. It’s quirky and may not be to everyone’s taste, but in terms of cleanliness and location, it’s a great option. Ubers are available within the city and make it easy to get around. Avoid walking around at night unless directly to the V&A Waterfront along the main roads.
Popular Attractions Close to the Signature Lux Hotel by Onomo Waterfront
If you’re keen to stay near the V&A Waterfront on a shoestring, this is the hotel for you. There are lots of activities and attractions near to the hotel. These attractions can be found within 1 mile:
- Lindt Studio where you can take chocolate making classes
- Live music every first Friday of the month in the Yard.
- Enjoy a swim, panoramic views or drinks on the Radisson Red rooftop.
- Zeits Mocca art gallery.
- Watch football at Ferryman’s with a cold pint.
- Enjoy live music at the Amphitheatre on a Sunday afternoon.
- Eat a casual lunch at Harbour House, La Parada or Den Anker with views across the basin.
- High tea at the Table Bay Hotel.
- Famous sushi at Willoughby’s.
- Famous African Penguins at the Two Oceans Aquarium.
Cape Town City Bowl
- Beautiful (free) views from Signal Hill.
- Table Mountain.
- Company Gardens.
- Walks along the Sea Point promenade.
- First Thursdays.
- Restaurants in Bree Street.
- Fugard Theatre or Artscape Theatre.